Top menu navigation

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Wild and Precious



Saw Wild tonight. Run, don't walk, people. Or actually, you probably should walk. But fast.

I read the book of course, and as some of you know, took a writing workshop with the one and only Cheryl Strayed over the summer.

The film is something else altogether now. It's the first time I've seen an adaptation as a companion piece to a book, rather than retelling. The gorgeous editing, the visual and auditory links between scenes actually enhanced my understanding of the book. The book and the film hold hands and sing.

Things have been happening, dear reader, to explain for my recent absence. I have a new job: community manager at this fine place. I'm leaving the one I held for ten years; my entire adulthood. I recently finished a draft of my novel (like, last night. Matt's reading it next to me on the couch as I type). 

When I found out I had cancer, my world became small. Cell sized. I could live and die by a single one. And slowly now, I'm fanning out again, world opening up like an aperture. Letting it all in. 

There was a time when I proclaimed that I simply refused to die from this. Something I have no control over. But I have control over how I live. And I refuse to live small.

So that's all for the moment. As things settle down I will say all I have been wanting to say to you. I will leave you with this:

Tell me what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver
& Cheryl Strayed

1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad you are "fanning out" as you put it. Your new job will not only open up many doors, it hopefully will bring you new ideas and thoughts unrelated to cancer. Since the day I was diagnosed in 2011, BC has been my first and last thought (as well as too many in between) each day. I just learned both my daughter and daughter-in-law are pregnant - and now I have happy things to concentrate on. Not a very wild life, but certainly precious. I wish you healthy thoughts and a healthy life. Your blog has helped put into words what for many is hard to express. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete