Top menu navigation

Friday, April 4, 2014

Young Adult Cancer Awareness Week

I've been remiss the last few days in pointing out that it's Young Adult Cancer Awareness week. So. Now you know.

I've been thinking about the other young adult in my life. Matt. Some of you know, but perhaps many of you don't, that he also had cancer. He was diagnosed with non Hodgkin Lymphoma in 2008. We were living together, but not married yet. I wrote a weird little essay, Love Letters Written to You in Waiting Rooms, when it was happening.

Yesterday, I gave a talk at a high school about my cancer experiences. At the end, one of the kids asked how Matt reacted when I was diagnosed. It's hard to parse out -- I don't think of us as having had separate reactions. I feel like, in those moments of diagnosis, but especially with mine, we were, I don't know, fused together in some way. I can only remember how we felt.

And our feeling was basically this:


No comments:

Post a Comment