Top menu navigation

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Scar tissue

Okay, so this morning my physical therapist told me to google image scar tissue. (We've been working on reducing my clumps of it for a few months.) So I did, and it's pretty gross. It looks like half dried glue. Anyway, I came across this:

 


So, please, shove it Henry Rollins, and anyone else who starts with this "what doesn't kill you" crap. Cancer has not made me stronger. It has made me weaker. I'm not saying that to make anyone sad, it's the simple truth. Physically, in that I can't operate the freight elevator at work by myself anymore. Emotionally, in that I'm jumpy as hell, and sometimes a meanie. I'll get back to where I was, but it takes a lot of work. And I don't appreciate the dismissive nature of this sentiment. Hard things can just be hard. There doesn't have to be a ray of fucking sunshine all the time. Mmmkay?

4 comments:

  1. Well said! All this 'what doesn't kill you' and 'you can beat if you are positive, so if you don't beat it you are not positive enough' stuff doesn't help at all.... thanks for your great blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So not helpful! It's so blame-y, ya know?

      Delete
  2. Every time I see something like this, I wanna shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I wish people would let these hard things just be and not try to tie a bow around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. On a certain level I get it, and I know it comes from a place of wanting to help. But just no. Doesn't work.

      Delete