Top menu navigation

Monday, November 26, 2012

Chemo Door Buster Savings!

Clamoring for chemo

I prepared for a week beforehand: getting ultra hydrated, working out my IV arm with the grip squeeze-y thing-y, and taking countless vitamins.

They say for success on Black Friday, you need a plan. Do your research, and choose what you will get in advance. Don't give in to impulse buys. Stay focused.

I arrived early, de rigueur for Black Friday. There was a bit of a line, but not too bad. Mostly older ladies with pale cheeks and tell tale hats. I could take any of them down if need be.

I repeated a mantra: "Just get in, give the blood, get the drugs, and get the fuck out. Try not to get trampled."

I did not succumb to tempting offers of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, or Carboplatin and Taxotere. No one even slipped me a complementary Ativan. No problem though. I was focused.

The day wasn't without hiccups, of course. My veins were shy, despite my prepping, and it took a few tries to find them. They were sold out of size small rubber gloves in my area. Someone eating chicken soup stunk up the whole place. The nurse told me my nails are starting to fall out.

I won't know how successful my day was until I get the bill in a couple of weeks. The average cost is around $8,100. But I used my Frequent Visitor card...and isn't the tenth time usually free?


Number of needle sticks: 2
Number of drugs taken: 4
Number of minutes spent: 165

No comments:

Post a Comment